THE I PUBLIC MEDICAL LIBRARIES OF PHILADELPHIA. BY RICHARD J. DUNGLISON, M.D. {REPRINTED EROM THE MEDICAL TIMES.') PHILADELPHIA: J. B. LIPPINCOTT & CO. 1871. THE LIBRARY OF THE COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS OF PHILADELPHIA. 'THE now venerable College of Physicians was only J- fifteen months old, and had held but a limited number of sessions for the general purposes of organi- zation, when at the stated meeting in April, 1788, the subject of a library was first introduced to the attention of the members. A series of by-laws was then offered, one section of which was at some future day to refer to the prospective library of the College; but the proba- bilities of its early establishment must have been con- sidered very slight, as nothing but the bare caption, "Section VII. Library," without one word of accom- panying text, is to be found at that date upon the rec- ords. The College, then in its infancy, numbered but few members, but they were the representatives of the earnest, active, learned men of the profession, who were not likely to let so important a subject slumber. The new medical organization had been formed at a time when the profession ranked very high in the scale of ability, skill, and social worth, and it enjoyed a large share of the confidence and appreciation of the public. The city numbered at that time only about forty-four thousand inhabitants, and of these probably not more than fifty were physicians. In the annals of those days* we find a full "list of all the physicians and * Watson's Annals of Philadelphia, vol. ii. p. 386. 4 surgeons, as they existed in Philadelphia soon after the peace of 1783," forty-two, all told; and this must have represented very nearly the numerical strength of the profession at the time of the foundation of the Col- lege of Physicians, four years later. Twenty-two, or about one-half of these, were among the earliest founders and Fellows of the College, and but one of the whole number lived west of Fifth Street, most of them residing in Water, Front, and Second Streets. The meetings of the College being then held at the University, in Fourth Street below Arch, the College and its nucleus of a library were therefore convenient and accessible to the whole profession. We cannot dwell on this subject further without entering too minutely into details that are somewhat foreign to our more limited subject, which is rather a sketch of the rise and progress of the valu- able library of the College than of the College itself. The men who founded the institution were those, how- ever, who gave the first impetus to the growth of the library, and they should not, therefore, be passed over without mention. They included Dr. John Redman,- the first President of the College,-an eminent retired physician; several of the professors in the University of Pennsylvania and the College of Philadelphia,-such as Drs. William Shippen, John Morgan, Benjamin Rush, Adam Kuhn, James Hutchinson, Samuel Powel Griffitts, and Caspar Wistar,-Dr. Chovet, an ana- tomical lecturer of ability and eccentricity, and others, reminiscences of some of whom may be found in the work already referred to. At the June meeting of the College in 1788, Drs. John Jones, Samuel Powel Griffitts, and Caspar Wistar were appointed a committee to report a plan for the formation of a library for the use of the College, whose report was subsequently considered and reconsidered, and a resolution adopted that " the several members of 5 the College be requested to send to the Secretary such books as they mean to present to the College." This request or recommendation has lost none of its force by the lapse of time, and is quite as applicable to the Fellows of these later days as to those whose contribu- tions were, during the expiring years of the eighteenth century, solicited in behalf of the young and struggling library. The new College must have had this subject very much at heart, for scarcely a meeting was held during the year 1789 at which the matter was not agi- tated. The first donation of books had already been received, and there was hope that the good example might speedily be followed. Dr. John Morgan had in January of that year requested the acceptance by the College of several medical works, and to him, there- fore, belongs the creditable pre-eminence of being the initiator of what is now the largest-and best medical library in the United States. The College, as we shall presently learn, could scarcely at that time have been the fortunate possessor of a bookcase, and the antici- pation of prospective donations and purchases must have been a source of no little embarrassment. The Censors and Secretary seem to have had assigned to them the duty of collecting donations of books, and of procuring a suitable place for keeping them and a person to attend at stated times; but the office of Librarian must have been comparatively a sinecure,-the library being probably too small to require his services,-for we find no one mentioned in connection with it for the next three years, when in March, 1792, Dr. Nicholas H. Waters volunteered to assume its duties for one year, and he was probably the first Librarian the College ever had. Even at this early day (1789) the College took steps to enrich the literature of the profession by the con- tributions of its own Fellows, and to publish a volume 6 of its transactions as often as materials were afforded. A letter was also addressed " to the most respectable medical characters in the United States," requesting such communication and information from them as might tend to promote the interests of the College and of medicine, and stating also that it was their desire to get up a Pharmacopoeia. A hundred copies of this letter were distributed throughout the country, and Thomas Dobson, of this city, offered to print a volume of the transactions "at his own risque." This early publication of the College, which occurred in the fall of 1793, was important not only because it aroused a general interest in its proceedings, but also because it laid the foundation of a system of exchanges which soon became a valuable means of supply of journals and transactions to the library. In July, 1789, in conformity with a by-law respecting the formation of a library, Drs. Jones, Parke, and Wistar were appointed a committee to prepare a list of books to be purchased at a cost of not more than fifty pounds, Pennsylvania currency ; and at the meeting in October they were directed to send to Amsterdam for as many of the European continental publications as was possible under this appropriation. A fair illustra- tion of the tardiness of communication at that time between the Old World and the New - or perhaps of even more tedious custom-house circumlocution than now prevails-may be found in the fact that thirteen months elapsed before the committee were en- abled to report that the books " had arrived in sheets and were deposited at the Secretary's house," from which, after being bound in plain calf, they were trans- ferred to the hall of the College. But the miniature library had in the mean while (March, 1790) received accessions of valuable books, by the death of one of its most worthy members, Dr. John Morgan, who 7 bequeathed to the College the works of Hippocrates, Galen, Morgagni, and Harvey, the whole making twelve volumes in folio and one in quarto. As, in the words of Dr. Rush, "the historian who shall hereafter relate the progress of medical science in America will be deficient in candor and justice if he does not connect the name of Dr. Morgan with that auspicious era in which medicine was first taught and studied as a science in this country," so also may it be justly said that no sketch of the early history of the College of Physicians or its library is complete without a tribute of acknowl- edgment of his profound interest in its welfare.* In December, 1791, the Secretary cheered the Col- lege with the information that the books were now placed in a case in the hall of meeting; but the case could not have been a very large one, as upon the arrival of a fresh package from Europe the following year, only the bound ones could be accommodated, and the Secretary was obliged to keep the unbound ones at his own house. The College left the University room about this time, and held their first meeting at the hall of the American Philosophical Society, January 3, * Dr. Rush, his biographer, states that during a visit to the celebrated Morgagni at Padua, the latter was so pleased with the doctor that he claimed kindred with him from the resemblance of their names, and on the blank leaf of a copy of his works, which he presented to him, he in- scribed with his own hand the following words: " Affini suo, medico prceclarissimo Johanni Morgan, donat auctor." This inscription has been extensively quoted on the authority of Dr. Rush, but must have been given by him merely from recollection, as on the title-page of vol. i. of the works of Morgagni referred to-now in the library-we find the following words plainly discernible : " Viro experientissimo et humanis- simo D. Di. Joanni Morgan auctor and on the title-page of vol. ii. the following : " Viro de re anatomica bono medico Do. Dri. Joanni Morgan auctor." Dr. Morgan was evidently a man who aimed to be a step in advance of his contemporaries, for we learn also that he was "the first man who ventured to carry a silk umbrella, and also an innovator in first introducing the practice of sending to the apothecary for all the medicines wanted for the sick." 8 I792- At this time books were taken out only at the close of each monthly meeting, and a fine of two shil- lings and sixpence was imposed on every careless or delinquent Fellow who kept a book out beyond that time, with an additional fine of a dollar for every addi- tional month ; and the Censors reported the condition of the library every July. Dr. Michael Leib succeeded Dr. Waters as Librarian during 1792-3, but for many years afterwards we find no mention of the appointment of any other Fellow to that position, and presume that no one thought it worth his while to spend his time in vain efforts to arouse the enthusiasm of the College in behalf of a small and unpretending library, such as it then was. The Col- lege was, indeed, too poor to import any more books from abroad. The number of medical societies was very limited, the facilities for publishing were restricted, and the means of intercommunication were so deficient that there was probably but little prospect of any great increase in domestic books and journals. We find nothing on record, in any annals of those days, to show that the medical men of the closing years of that cen- tury had accumulated large libraries, from which the College could, either then or prospectively, hope to add to the value or the richness of their own collection. Of the early founders, Drs. John Morgan, Griffitts, Rush, Benjamin Smith Barton, Shippen, and Jones seem to have been the only ones who, during a long series of years, gave to the young library a few contributions occasionally from their own shelves; and yet there was hardly a meeting at which the subject of a library was not brought up for consideration, as a sufficient re- minder to the Fellows of its great and pressing needs. The yellow fever of 1793 interfered with the prospects of the library by diverting the energies of all the best physicians from the lighter paths of literature to the 9 more practical fields of professional duty, and the public health became a consideration paramount to every other. The College in this epidemic, as in that of a few years later, met very frequently to give the Governor such solicited advice as might aid in the miti- gation of the disease, for in those old-fashioned days it was not an uncommon event for the State Executive to lean for professional assistance on those whose sagacity and skill commanded universal respect. Between the periods of the two epidemics of 1793 and 1797, how- ever, the library made some little progress. A fresh supply of books was sent for to Amsterdam by the ship William Penn ; the Medical Society of London had transmitted a few parts of its Transactions; and the Censors had, in January, 1797, prepared a new list of books for importation, which included but few solid works, and mainly embraced " the different periodical publications on medicine-viz., reviews, journals, etc. -which are published on the continent of Europe in the Latin or French languages." The yellow fever of 1797 and of 1799 again occupied the attention of the College and diverted their interest from the claims of the library; and the same disturbing influences were at work during the subsequent year (1800). These months of earnest and serious labor were not, however, lost to literature, for the results were embodied in a volume of " Facts and Observations relative to the Nature and Origin of the Pestilential Fever which prevailed in this City in 1793, 1797, and 1798," which was printed and distributed under the auspices of the College. We have no record of the numerical condition of the library at the commencement of the present century. Donations were very infrequent; the College had not the full and untrammelled use of its own room, as a stipulation made with the Philosophical Society allowed the latter also to place its library and apparatus in the 10 same apartment; and the College seemed to be slug- gishly content with the tardy increase of its books, as if it feared that additions to their number might crowd the scanty book-shelves, or as if it never dreamed of the brilliant future that was in store for the library. The annual appropriations for the library from 1787 to July, 1794, amounted altogether to sixty pounds, but they were for many years entirely omitted; and, feebly depending for a more vigorous vitality on the occasional attentions of donors of a volume or two at a time, the library grew but little in dimensions or importance for at least ten years. Dr. William Currie, in June, 1800, presented about twenty volumes to the College, including ten of Adrianus Spigelius de Humano Corpore; but the good example was not followed very speedily. The book- case must also have been a place of deposit for patho- logical specimens, as in July of that year we find a little stir made at the stated meeting in consequence of the abduction from it of a preparation of a heart of an extra- uterine foetus. In 1803, Dr. John Coakley Lettsom, the eminent physician and author, who had been elected an Associate of the College the year previous, sent out from England as a present to the College library a number of valuable works, such as Haygarth's Medical Transactions, 4 vols., Lettsom's Hints, 3 vols., Exam- ination of Jenner's Petition, etc. Dr. Lettsom was the first person who, after Jenner's discovery of vaccination, transmitted vaccine lymph to this country. He was the founder of the London Medical Society, was one of the foremost in the establishment of the Royal Jennerian Society, etc., and an associate of whom our own Col- lege of Physicians might well feel proud. In 1805, a committee to whom the duty had been assigned reported the selection they had made of papers for publication in a volume of the Transactions; but the suggestion was left unheeded for several years. The 11 library was reported by the Censors as being in good order, and the admission-fee for new Fellows, which seems to have been fixed long before at a large amount ($26.67), partly with a view of aiding the library at the inception, was now reduced to fifteen dollars. These are the only items of interest connected with the library up to the year 1815. It could not be expected that the little interest taken in the College by its members during the decade from 1805 to 1815 would redound in any way to the growth of the library. It was quite an un- common occurrence for a quorum to be present at the meetings, and trifling subjects of discussion on non- professional topics of rent, etc., for a long series of monthly meetings constituted the whole programme for the entertainment of the College. An epidemic of yellow fever might have stirred up their tired energies and given life and animation to the proceedings, and perhaps have called a sufficient number of members to- gether to induce them to make a united effort in behalf of the library; but, fortunately for the public, the general health of the community remained unaffected,-and the library languished. For some of this neglect, the war of 1812 is perhaps partly responsible. From 1815 to 1820 the College grew more active, but its library is credited with but one donation, that of a Spanish work on Tifus Icterodes, by Don Francisco Flores Moreno, from the author. The Pennsylvania Hospital sold to the College ten volumes of the Edin- burgh Journal for ^6 5s., equivalent in those days to $27.77. In 1818, the first constitution and by-laws was published, and also Dr. Wistar's eulogium on Dr. Ship- pen, which had been delivered a long while before. The catalogue of books was so imperfect that Drs. Parke and J. W. Moore were appointed to prepare a new one, which was completed in January, 1819, and even at this time the College could not boast of the 12 existence of a Librarian. In those days it was the custom of societies to meet " at early candlelight," and we presume the College kept the same unobjectionable hours. Drs. Thomas C. James and J. W. Moore, who had been selected to make out a list of foreign and domestic periodical publications to be purchased for the library, reported the following, which may probably be accepted as the type of the most reliable medical issues of that day: The Edinburgh Medical and Sur- gical Journal, London Medico-Chirurgical Transactions, London Medical Transactions, Medical and Physical Journal, New England Medical and Surgical Journal, Philadelphia Eclectic Repertory, and London Medico- Chirurgical Journal and Review. With the exception of an item of two dollars for "cleaning the bookcase and books, and a piece of stained paper for covering the same," in 1825, and an- other of six dollars for painting the bookcase, in 1829, nothing of interest is to be found on the records in rela- tion to the library until 1834, when the first regularly- constituted Committee on the Library was appointed, consisting of Drs. J. W. Moore, William S. Coxe, and Simon A. Wickes, who in January, 1835, made a verbal report upon the state of the library, " showing that it is in a bad condition and going to decay;" doubtless the result of a third of a century of flickering energy and inactivity. Dr. Henry Bond succeeded Dr. Wickes in 1836, after the death of the latter. To both of these committees is due the credit of adopting earnest mea- sures for the preservation and safety of the library. In June of that year they presented an excellent annual report, the first which is to be found in extenso upon the minutes. " The collection of books," it says, " be- longing to the College includes 31 folio volumes, 67 quartos, and 193 octavos, making a total of 291, besides a number of unbound pamphlets. . . . Most of these 13 books appear to have been presented by the members of the College, or by the authors or translators of the works, many years since. Being principally the pro- ductions of ancient authors, this circumstance, together with the inconvenient situation they occupy, causes them to be very little read, and more than a year has elapsed without a single volume having been called for. They are in fact to be regarded as a mere foundation, although a valuable one, for a medical library." The committee also indulge a hope that when a safe and easily accessible place of deposit shall be obtained for the books, funds ''will be appropriated more frequently and more abundantly, so that the collection may become an object of greater interest, and may better correspond with the dignity of so ancient and so honorable a lite- rary body as the College of Physicians of Philadel- phia." About this time the " Kappa Lambda Association of the United States," under whose auspices twelve volumes of the North American Medical and Surgical Journal had been published, with Drs. Hodge, Bache, Meigs, B. H. Coates, and La Roche as its editors, dissolved, and transferred to the library of the College for safe keeping its journal of proceedings and other manu- script documents, which, though of no special value to the latter, were sufficiently gratifying indications of the feeling of confidence entertained by the profession in the permanency of the College. The members of the Kappa Lambda Society or Association, by the encour- agement of social meetings at the houses of members, where tea or coffee and cake constituted the frugal fare, laid the foundation for the Monday evening and other similar medical clubs. Dr. Coxe died in 1837, and Dr. Squire Littell was appointed in his stead. The College now again began to agitate the question of new accommodations, though 14 the size of the library was hardly formidable enough to excite much anxiety. The Library Committee re- mained without change for five years, when, in 1842, Dr. Francis West succeeded Dr. Bond, and in 1843, Dr. B. H. Coates, Dr. Moore ; and during this period the unvarying annual report was that one volume and a few pamphlets had been added during the year, and that little or no use of the library had been made by the Fellows. An effort was made in the fall of 1840 to secure, either by purchase or in trust, "the large and valuable collection of medical books accumulated at great expense for a long course of years by Dr. John Redman Coxe;'.' but the matter seems to have been dropped, as no subsequent action on the part of the committee is reported. The same fate seems to have attended a grand com- bination movement, instituted in October of the same year by a joint committee in behalf of the College of Physicians, the Philadelphia Medical Society, and the Philadelphia Medical College, to form a company to be entitled the " Medical Hall Association of Philadel- phia." One of the main motives for its establishment was that " a commodious, safe, and permanent depos- itory for a library" might thus be created; and it was to be the duty of the committee " to apply to each phy- sician, requesting him to inform the committee in writing what books he will contribute, either as dona- tions or deposits, towards the formation of a library." Whether the members of the College shrank from sharing a divided responsibility, or feared that the scheme was too grand and expensive, or wholly im- practicable, it is difficult now to say ; but they probably took the most judicious course of action when they dis- charged the committee from further discussion of the subject, and refrained from its renewed agitation. At the same meeting, however, another committee was 15 appointed, to ascertain what amount would be sufficient to authorize the erection by the College of a building for its own accommodation; but they soon afterwards reported that the cost would probably exceed fifteen thousand dollars,-so large a sum in those days that " altho' the proposed plan met general approbation and many liberal subscriptions were promised, they regret to say a sufficient amount cannot be immediately raised to authorize its erection." The project of a new building was therefore temporarily abandoned. The library received a fresh impulse in 1844, in con- sequence of a communication from Dr. John C. Otto, stating that he was about to leave the city, and would be willing to dispose of his library,-" a valuable collection of works on medicine and the collateral sciences, all in a good state of preservation." The College purchased the books and bookcases for two hundred dollars, and they were to be deposited, under the control and custody of the Library Committee, in a room over Dr. Hodge's office at Ninth and Walnut Streets; and yet, several months later, the committee reported that they had heard of the purchase of Dr. Otto's books, but had not yet obtained control of them. The committee were instructed to report a plan " for rendering the library more useful and accessible to the Fellows, and to insure its permanent increase in size and value;" and in June they made several valuable sug- gestions, including one in regard to the appointment of a librarian and of a proper hour for his attendance,- " one hour, twice a month, would be as much as is ex- pedient to devote to that purpose"-one of these hours being at the session of the College; the preparation of an index-catalogue ; the obtaining of "a better colloca- tion for the bookcases," etc. The Library Committee appointed in August, 1844, consisted of Drs. Moore, Coates, and West, and they were associated together for 16 several years. In December, the question of removal to the new Mercantile Library building, corner of Fifth and Library Streets, was agitated, and arrangements were subsequently made for that purpose. The library was reported as useless for want of care and arrangement, and its benefits entirely lost to its members. The books, except Dr. Otto's, were kept in a case on the first landing of the staircase, and altogether the College became so dispirited in regard to the progress of the library, that it was proposed to establish a medical athenaeum, to be open daily under the care of the Superintendent of the building, with all the foreign and domestic journals and current medical literature. When the College moved, in 1845, into 'ts new hall at the Mercantile Library building, which was furnished almost exclusively by private subscription, the first step taken in regard to the library was the preparation of a complete catalogue by the Library Committee, assisted by Drs. Griscom, Jackson, Patter- son, and Parrish. This was accomplished in January, 1846, and showed that the library contained about six hundred volumes. Quite a number of contribu- tions of books were received from various Fellows, and Dr. Henry Bond, a valuable officer of the College, gave the first large donation of books the library had ever received, consisting of sixty-six volumes in differ- ent languages and on a variety of medical subjects. The gift of seventeen volumes by Dr. George B. Wood is memorable as the first of a series of munificent dona- tions, mainly of a pecuniary nature, lavishly bestowed •during a quarter of a century, for which the College of Physicians must ever entertain a grateful and affection- ate remembrance of their honored President. The library also during this year became indebted to Dr. Isaac Hays for a gift of thirty or forty French and Ger- man works, and has since received frequent contribu- 17 tions of books, and especially of periodicals, from the same source. Permission was now granted the Philadelphia Medi- cal Society-at this time on the eve of suspension-to deposit its library in the hall of the College, and a case was procured for the reception of the books. This So- ciety was but two years younger than the College, having been instituted in 1789, but it was not destined to have so extended an existence. In 1846, after nearly sixty years of varying activity, it went into a condition of hibernation, from which it was only temporarily aroused by the stimulation of outside causes in the year 1859, when, after a very brief resuscitation, it finally ceased to exist. The books thus deposited in 1846-a few hundred in number-remained upon the shelves for thirteen years without any further action, when, in June, 1859, the Society determined to convey them into the actual possession of the College, under certain conditions as to their use by such of its own members as were not Fel- lows of the College. These terms were not, however, acceptable to the proposed recipients of the donation, and the books were therefore delivered to the President of the Society, about the end of this year. As part of the further history of this transaction, it may be stated that in February, 1868, a communication was received from the same society, offering a donation of nearly four hundred and fifty dollars to the College library, the interest of which was to be applied to its increase, and the Society to be credited with the donation on the book-plate. This was the sum which had been realized by the Society by the sale of the books already referred to, and the College added to it a sufficient amount to make five hundred dollars for investment, so that the latter eventually obtained a small permanent fund for the purchase of a few books annually, after the lapse 2 18 of nearly a quarter of a century from the time the offer of the books was first made. During 1847 and 1848 the tables were filled with journals, the library was open for their perusal from 11 to 2 o'clock, and the Fellows were allowed dead- latch keys to the room; but the books could be seen or obtained only at the stated meetings. To remedy this inconvenience, the keys of the cases were left in the table-drawer, with the explicit understanding that no book was to be taken from the room, a printed placard to this effect being displayed on the bookcases. The exchanges at this time embraced all the medical journals of the country,-eighteen or twenty in number; but so many of the copies either failed to be received, or were taken home by the Fellows to be read at leisure and then laid aside and forgotten, that this plan of free access without, as at the present day, a respon- sible superintending officer, failed to work satisfacto- rily. In June, 1849, the College, on the motion of Dr. Par- rish, took the first action looking to the establishment of a museum or cabinet of pathological specimens ; but we need not here dwell upon the subsequent proceed- ings in regard to this important point, as the establish- ment of the museum, the gift of pathological specimens and money from Dr. Thomas D. Mutter, the creation of a building fund, and the erection of the present edifice, -all of which subjects became afterwards intimately blended,-are only incidentally connected with our history of the library. Nothing of interest now occurred until 1852, when, by direct appeals to the members, a sufficient number of journals and pamphlets had been obtained, mainly contributed to the library from individual searches among private collections,-odd numbers, perhaps, stored away in garrets and obscure closets,-to lead to the binding of nearly a hundred volumes, hitherto 19 incomplete; and additional bookcases now became as much of a necessity as was a new hall for the general meetings of the College. As the accommodations were so limited that it was apparent there would be no room for the cases when they were constructed, the ques- tion of a change of location again promised to be the topic of the hour. The expansion of the library may therefore be said to have been the principal cause of the new arrangements which were soon afterwards made for the increased comfort and convenience of the College. The Secretary probably acted for many years in lieu of a librarian, for we find him, by an alteration of the by-laws in 1854, relieved from this duty by the appointment of a librarian as a regular officer of the College, annually elected. The committee had ceased to take charge of the giving out of books in 1852,-as they say, "since the appointment of a librarian;'' but no one is mentioned on the minutes in connection with this position until 1855, so that it is presumable that, for two or three years, but slight facilities were afforded the Fellows in the use of the books. The library, which was now getting rapidly larger by donations prompted by the increased interest felt in it by the Fellows, was removed in the summer of 1854 to the " Picture-House'' of the Pennsylvania Hospital, in Spruce Street,-so called on account of West's cele- brated painting, " Christ Healing the Sick," being placed there,-the College having adopted that as its place of future meeting. A revised catalogue was at once pro- posed, but not at once prepared. A lively interest in the College seems to have been reawakened at this time, for the meeting of October of this year was, almost with- out exception, larger than any ever held previously or even up to the present time, fifty-two of the Fellows being present, although there was nothing unusual to attract them. The first librarian, under the modified 20 by-laws, which provided not only for the election of that officer but also of the Library Committee in January, was Dr. T. Hewson Bache, who for eight years con- tinued to exercise the duties of the position with a zeal and fidelity creditable to himself and beneficial to the interests of the College. Hardly a full set of any med- ical journal-not even of its own Transactions-was at this time in the possession of the College. Every practicable effort was at once made to remedy such deficiency. So incomplete were some of the sets, how- ever, that it was not deemed worth while to attempt to make them more perfect. At the February and April meetings of 1855, Dr. Alfred Stille presented seventy- three volumes and forty-three numbers of valuable med- ical works, and Dr. Samuel Lewis, whose name a few years afterwards became permanently identified with the history of the library, gave fifty volumes, Dr. More- ton Stille fifty-one, and others a large aggregate of equally useful works. So many numbers of medical journals were presented that a hundred additional vol- umes of periodicals were placed on the shelves, which otherwise would have been comparatively valueless. During a period of six months, two hundred and fifty-two book's were also contributed by the Fellows,, and one hundred and sixty-five other works were bound ; and the library now amounted, after nearly seventy years of varying effort, to what, doubtless,, seemed a magnificent total of seventeen hundred vol- umes,-only one-ninth of the number which at present constitute it, although but sixteen years have since elapsed. During this last period, the library has doubled itself more than three times. The library and new manuscript catalogue were ready for use in July. Upon the death of Dr. Moreton Stille, in the fall of 1855, his widow presented to the College, through her brother- in-law, Dr. Alfred Stille, a portion of his medical 21 library, which had been collected by him "to foster his taste for literary and scientific culture," and was now given to those who were devoted to the same studies and pursuits. This donation comprised one hundred and nineteen separate works, in one hundred and thirty- seven volumes. The total number of volumes in the College library reported January, 1857, was 2155,-" a very large num- ber," says the annual report, "in comparison withits meagre contents, as some of the Fellows present will recollect them, when the library occupied a small and obscure corner of the stair-landing at the old Philoso- phical Hall on Fifth Street." In October, 1857, Dr. Thomas F. Betton, who had during the previous year expressed a desire to give a large and valuable donation of books from his private library, communicated to the College his intention to convey into its possession his own medical library, and that of his father (Dr. Samuel B. Betton), amounting altogether to twenty-five hundred volumes, giving at once the periodicals and many curious old books, in order, as was very sensibly expressed in his note, " that they may be made of use, and not be kept slumbering on my shelves, to the advantage of no one." During the next six months, many hundred volumes were added from this source alone, and in 1864 a very large ad- ditional number. Dr. Betton's gift included some very rare and important works, and is worthy of record as the first massive contribution the College had received. It proved to be the library of a connoisseur, whose good taste in selecting the valuable materials which com- posed it was equalled only by his liberality in bestowing it where it would always be appreciated. The general library of the College thus received a stimulus the influence of which is felt even at the present time. During 1858, Dr. Robert M. Huston contributed 22 several hundred foreign and domestic journals. The library was reported on the ist of January, 1859, as containing three thousand five hundred and sixty vol- umes, divided, in the catalogue, into folios, quartos, etc.,-an arrangement which has since been abandoned as useless and inconvenient. The Betton collection at this time included five hundred and seventy-two works, or about twelve hundred and sixty-five volumes. In May, 1859, it was determined to purchase the property at the northeast corner of Thirteenth and Locust Streets for the future permanent location of the College. A letter was received at this meeting from Mrs. M. A. Mutter, the widow of Dr. Thomas D. Mutter, who died during the preceding April, stating that it had been her husband's intention to give his medical library to the College, and expressing a desire to deposit it, to become a gift when the terms of agreement as to a new building for the museum should be fulfilled. The library was now kept open every Friday evening, from 7 to 10 o'clock, for a period of six months, under the charge of Dr. David Lewis, Librarian of the Pennsyl- vania Hospital. In June it received a valuable acces- sion of select works,-a legacy from the former Secre- tary of the College, Dr. Henry Bond. At the expiration of the year, it was found that three hundred and ninety- seven volumes had been added to the College library, besides medical journals and pamphlets, and that the total number of books reached very nearly four thousand volumes, exclusive of four hundred and one works deposited by Mrs. Mutter. Very little increase was visible in the library during the years i860 and 1861. A committee of five-Drs. T. H. Bache, Ruschenberger, West, Lewis, and R. P. Thomas, to which Dr. Betton (who afterwards declined) and Dr. W. F. Atlee were added-was appointed in April, i860, to prepare a catalogue of the books. This. 23 must have been a task of great magnitude, for it was not reported as complete until December of the following year. The committee was aided also by Dr. Stille ; but it is due to the then librarian (Dr. Bache) to state that " a large share of the labor of preparing the catalogue devolved upon him." Strange to say, this valuable compilation, the great desideratum of the time in which it was prepared, not long afterwards was mislaid or destroyed in some inexplicable way, greatly to the chagrin and disappointment of those especially who had zealously labored in its preparation. A very valu- able gift to the library during 1862 was effected by private subscription of twenty-three Fellows of the Col- lege, being no less a present than one hundred and ninety-two volumes of the ''Collection des Theses sou- tenues a la Faculte de Medecine de Paris," from 1822 to 1846 inclusive. This is, without exception, the finest set-probably the only one-of these inaugural dis- sertations to be found in this country. In July, 1863, the College was informed that Dr. Isaac Reming- ton had, during his last sickness, expressed a desire to leave it his medical library, consisting of ninety works, including one hundred and ninety-five vol- umes, and ten periodicals in one hundred and eighty- eight numbers, besides pamphlets; and the Library Committee was authorized to take action in regard to their reception. In consequence of the absence of Dr. Bache on patriotic medico-military duties during the war of the rebellion, Dr. Walter F. Atlee was, in January, 1863, elected Librarian. The new building at Thirteenth and Locust Streets was in March declared ready for occu- pancy; the Building Committee soon after reported plans for cases, and ere long the library of the College, which having safely undergone the traditional three times of removal might now be considered fire-proof, 24 was securely ensconced in its new and commodious quarters. It probably at this time numbered scarcely more than four thousand five hundred volumes. Dr. Charles S. Boker was, in January, 1864, elected Libra- rian, to be succeeded in 1865 by Dr. John H. Slack, who retained that position until the appointment of the present worthy and excellent incumbent, Dr. Robert Bridges, in 1868. The recent civil war, during its earlier years, was evi- dently a disturbing element, even in the quiet operations of the library, for there seems to have been at this time a lull in the activity of the committee, probably because the attention of the Fellows was so seriously diverted by more stirring causes as to prevent them from con- tributing to any extent to swell the contents of the book-shelves. The years 1864 and 1865 are memorable in the history of the College library for the remarkable addition to it of about forty-five hundred volumes, twenty-five hundred of which were given cn masse by Dr. Samuel Lewis, of this city, whose interest in the library must have ripened into the warmth of affection to prompt the unselfish be- stowal of such invaluable medical literary treasures. They were presented unconditionally to the College in a modest note of but three or four lines, with the earnest wish that they might tend in some degree to advance its interests and usefulness. The College officially re- turned him a vote of thanks for his munificent gift, and resolved that the books should be preserved as a sepa- rate collection, under the name of the " Lewis Library." In November, 1865, he was again thanked "for his re- newed manifestation of interest in the welfare of the College,"-a deserved tribute to his liberality and zeal, which might stand permanently recorded in lasting appreciation of his almost daily contributions, the por- tion of the library bearing his name having been in 25 less than seven years augmented by his own efforts to a sum total of over four thousand volumes. Rich as the College library may hereafter become from bequests from any source, it is doubtful whether any other col- lection, unless specially selected with a view to its future presentation, will ever be so carefully and tenderly nurtured as that which now perceptibly grows in im- portance and usefulness under the eyes of its generous donor. During the next year (1865), Mr. George Ord, a gentleman of philological culture, who for many years had been a prominent member of the various scientific and literary bodies here and elsewhere, offered so tempting a collection of valuable scientific and miscellaneous works for the acceptance of the College, provided it was deemed advisable to go outside of the range of medicine, that the committee appointed for the purpose wisely determined not to lose this un- usual opportunity of enriching the resources of the library. The College thus became possessed, in the spring of 1866, of a very choice collection, "comprising the best editions of the most eminent classical writers in the English and French languages, many volumes of interesting voyages and travels, and the best and largest collection of English and French dictionaries perhaps in this country, being the fruits of Mr. Ord's industrious collecting during more than half a century." The acquisition of these valuable works was doubtless intended to be without cost to the College; but, being a bequest, instead of an actual gift during his life, though promised before his death, the latter had to pay the collateral inheritance and United States taxes, etc., amounting to $350,-an unexpected expense, but a trifling one, when we consider that the library was appraised at a valuation of four thousand dollars. The sprinkling of miscellaneous books thus infused into the 26 library may serve as a gentle reminder to those of the Fellows who are deeply absorbed in mere professional practice and routine journal and text-book literature, that the means of increasing their store of general infor- mation, and of becoming cosmopolitan in learning, are close at hand. When the Library Committee made its annual report in January, 1866, there were said to be seventeen thou- sand titles of books in possession of the College, and it was regarded " as the best collection of medical works belonging to any similar institution in the United States." The new librarian, Dr. Slack, was credited with having contributed a large share of useful labor in connection with the care and arrangement of the library. The actual number of volumes had now risen to nine thousand five hundred and thirteen, and this amount was swollen by the receipt of the Ord library, in April, and by other donations, to a total of twelve thou- sand four hundred and forty-eight volumes before the close of the year. The library had now become so reliable and voluminous for reference that Dr. Wood, the President of the College, expressed in a communi- cation to that body his earnest belief that more time should be allotted for access to the books and journals to enable practitioners who might wish hastily to decide some subject of direct interest or concern to themselves, or to while away an hour or two of leisure, or to investi- gate difficult or obscure points requiring extended refer- ence to a number of authorities, to avail themselves of its advantages. To meet any additional expense that might be incidentally incurred, he generously offered to give the College five hundred dollars a year. This liberal offer was gladly accepted; the by-laws were altered to make the Librarian an ex-officio member of the Library Committee, which was increased to five; the Librarian was instructed to keep a record of the 27 books, and report at each stated meeting; the library was to be open from 11 to 3 o'clock daily, and one of the committee was to attend regularly between those hours, for which duty he was to receive five hundred dollars a year. Dr. Robert Bridges was in June elected for this latter purpose, and by his careful attention to the requirements of the library from that time to the present, and his courteous, zealous, and efficient ser- vices,-which with each year's growth and use of the library must become more and more onerous,-has earned the grateful regard of all the Fellows of the Col- lege. In the following January he was also elected Librarian. Under his careful hand a voluminous al- phabetical catalogue of the library according to authors has for some time been in preparation, and is now so far advanced that an important portion of it is ready for reference. To this will be appended a list of au- thors according to subjects, on the plan of the Edin- burgh Library catalogue. During the next four years the library grew very rapidly, as may be seen from the following table, founded on the annual reports of the Library Committee, presented each January: 1868. 1869. 1870. 1871. Lewis Library, 3098 3204 3449 3893 Ord 2068 2068 1909* 1909 East and west rooms ;, 7216 8434 8744 9108 Total, 12,382 13.706 14,102 14,910 Besides these, there is a large number of duplicates, varying each year from sales or additions, amounting * A portion of this library, embracing kindred subjects on natural his- tory, etc., was incorporated with the general library, the book-plate, of course, crediting them to the Ord bequest. This will account for the apparent diminution of the number of volumes. 28 in 1868 to five hundred and ninety-one, and in 1871 to eight hundred and thirty-two volumes. The actual number of volumes at present in the library consider- ably exceeds fifteen thousand. The use of the library by the Fellows has also steadily increased,-nearly six hundred volumes having been loaned during 1870,-although it hardly seems even yet that they have arrived at a full realization of the extent of the literary resources within their reach. As they become more conscious of the magnitude of its dimensions, of its richness for reference, and of its practical useful- ness as a working library, their interest in it must be constantly augmented, and the halls of the College will doubtless in time be resorted to by a largely-increased number of the Fellows, awakened to a knowledge of the real value of the periodical and general literature so freely offered them. In the report for 1869, the com- mittee, after congratulating the College on possessing, it is believed, the largest medical library in the United States,-the next in extent probably being that of the Pennsylvania Hospital,-remark, that "when it is re- membered within how short a period this collection has reached its present size and acquired its great value, the hope is not an extravagant one that in a few years all of the available space in the College building will be required to contain the gifts of its benefactors.'' In Feb- ruary of this year, Bujalsky, a Russian surgeon, sent to the College from St. Petersburg a number of valuable books, including an illustrated folio work on lithotomy, etc., in the Russian language, the plates of which are twenty-three inches in length by thirty in width. In January, 1869, the medical library of Dr. Francis West, who had for several years been a useful member of the Library Committee, was received as a bequest. It consisted of one hundred and twenty-four volumes and two hundred and twenty duplicates. In February, 1870, ninety-nine volumes on midwifery were received 29 from the executor of the estate of Dr. Charles D. Meigs, in accordance with the terms of his will. The latest step taken by the College to extend the usefulness of the library was a resolution passed in April, 1871, to keep it open in the evening, from October 1 to May 31, twice a week, from 7 to 10 p.m., to enable the Fellows to con- sult the books and journals, with an assistant librarian to be appointed to attend to this additional duty. In this manner a more social feeling will doubtless be dif- fused among the members of the College, which will inevitably have an important and beneficial effect in creating a wide-spread interest in the library and in the institution which is its fortunate possessor. A number of the Fellows have, within the past two or three months, organized a "Journal Association of the College of Physicians," for the purpose of creating, by private subscription alone, a fund for the purchase of foreign and domestic current medical literature, which, after being left on a special table in the room of the College for a sufficient length of time, is to be given, in complete volumes, to the library. The main object is to supplement in this way the list of journals already regularly taken by the College, by adding others which it is desirable it should possess. This new plan of increased supply is meeting with great favor and suc- cess, and is likely to be a permanently attractive fea- ture. The idea is not an entirely new one, having been agitated in January, 1856, but not practically carried out. Medical pamphlets of all kinds, as well as the Transactions of medical societies here and elsewhere, are also received, and will be welcomed as acceptable contributions from professional gentlemen in any portion of this country, either to this Association or to the Col- lege, which latter will transmit its own Transactions in exchange. The following gentlemen have constituted the Library Committee from 1845-the date of removal to the Mer- 30 cantile Library building-to the present time. I. At the Mercantile Library, Drs. West, Pepper, and Reese. 2. At the Pennsylvania Hospital building, Drs. West, Reese, Lewis, Lajus, Betton, W. F. Atlee, and Stille. 3. At the College building, Thirteenth and Locust, Drs. Lewis, Stille, Atlee, Bridges, and J. Ashhurst, Jr. Their services have been attended with the best results to the interests of the College. They have, during some of these years, accomplished a good deal, with little or no annual appropriation of funds; and although a more just and generous amount is now granted them for cur- rent expenses, the great increase of the library has been effected almost entirely without expense to the College, so numerous have been the donations of books. It is im- possible, and would indeed be inexpedient, to mention in detail the names of all the benefactors of the library, some of whom have given largely from their own literary resources in one or two instalments, and others but a little at a time, and yet frequently. Without making invidi- ous mention, it may be truly stated that, while the Col- lege feels grateful to all the contributors to the library, it must feel especially so for numerous and valuable gifts of books and periodicals by Drs. Alfred Stille, John Bell, S. Weir Mitchell, Francis W. Lewis, Walter F. Atlee, Samuel D. Gross, George W. Norris, Edward Hartshorne, Joseph Carson, Charles D. Meigs, Charles W. Pennock, Robert P. Harris, and William Ashmead, in addition to those already mentioned. They have all been actuated by the same spirit, as contributors to the general good of the profession. As gratitude has been ironically defined as "thankfulness for favors to come," the College may truly congratulate itself on the future of its library, which will undoubtedly receive hereafter, from some of its warmest friends of to-day, large acces- sions of valuable, curious, and standard w'orks. Let us hope, however, that the day is far distant which shall produce the enrichment of the library as the result of 31 the loss to the College, the profession, and the world, of the valuable services of any one of them I Of the character of the books now constituting the library, much might be said, had we the space to describe them at length. Suffice it to say that the Col- lege library proper is rich in the general walks of medi- cal literature, and especially in American, French, and German journals, and that it contains numerous clas- sical treatises and curious old works, such as would delight the student and the antiquary. One of these very rare old books is an American work, "printed and sold by B. Franklin, 1745," entitled " An Essay on the West India Dry Gripes," by Dr. Thomas Cadwalader. Curiously enough, it contains two prefaces, each dated "New Jersey, Trenton, March 25, 1745," one of them being pasted on a fly-leaf, from which fact it is inferred that it was probably the author's private copy, and that, being dissatisfied with one preface, he substituted another, and kept them both for his own reference. The Lewis library is very valuable for its completeness in old English journals, curious old books,-some of them dating as far back as the sixteenth century, in- cluding among other works a fine collection of the School of Salernum,-all the best medical works of the day in their original editions,-not a reprint being found in the whole library,-and seven or eight hundred articles on fever. The philological character of the excellent Ord library has already been referred to. The main rooms of the library are embellished, in some of the available spaces, by the portraits of deceased officers and Fellows of the College. Included among these are paintings of several of the former Presidents, -Drs. John Redman (1787-1805), William Shippen (1805-1809), Thomas Parke (1818-1835), and Thomas C. James (1835). These were all given by Dr. George B. Wood in 1865 and 1866, that of Dr. Redman being copied from a small water-color portrait presented in 32 1865 by the heirs of Dr. John Redman Coxe, which also occupies a small corner in the library. Dr. John Neill in 1867 contributed a portrait in oil of his father, Dr. Henry Neill, and smaller likenesses of Drs. Benja- min Duffield and John Church. A portrait of Dr. Abraham Chovet, anecdotes of whom are connected with Philadelphia local history of the latter part of the last century, was presented the same year by Mrs. L. C. Hay, of Trenton, N.J. An oil-painting of Dr. John Foulke, one of the founders of the College, was pre- sented by Mrs. W. Parker Foulke; a small print of Dr. S. P. Griffitts, one of the early founders, by Dr. Carson ; one of Dr. John Syng Dorsey, by Mr. Charles Hart; an artistic oil-painting of Hippocrates,* exe- cuted by herself, by Miss Fanny Darrach ; and an excel- lent photograph of Dr. Robley Dunglison, by Dr. Richard J. Dunglison. There is also in the museum a fine por- trait of Dr. Thomas Dent Mutter, by Huntingdon. As far back as the year 1850, the Library Committee were requested "to have copies of such engraved like- nesses of deceased Fellows as have been published, for the purpose of having them also framed and sus- pended in the chamber;" but no action has ever been taken in regard to it. It is to be hoped that in time busts of the most honored Fellows of the College may also adorn the now empty spaces over the projecting bookcases. An album is kept in the library for the reception of the photographs of all those connected with the College who feel disposed to contribute to it. The library is usually closed in the summer for a period of about six weeks. Members of the profession who are not Fellows of the College are allowed free access to the library at the regular hours, on introducing them- selves to the Librarian. * This painting was based upon the bust of Hippocrates in the posses- sion of the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts,-itself copied from a historic medal. 33 THE MEDICAL LIBRARY OF THE PENN- SYLVANIA HOSPITAL. * I 'WENTY years ago, the history of the Pennsylvania Hospital was narrated by one of the most honored representatives of the medical profession, at the most interesting period of its career, when it was just enter- ing upon the second century of its usefulness.* It is not, therefore, our purpose now to dwell upon its char- itable and beneficial characteristics, except in so far as they are connected with a sketch of the rise and pro- gress of the library. We should have found it a task of considerable magnitude to trace the growth of the latter during a period of one hundred and ten years (1762 to 1871), carrying us back into the days of our colonial history, about fourteen years before the declaration of our national independence, but for the excellent state of preservation of the minutes of the Board of Mana- gers, and the valuable assistance imparted by a copious alphabetical index of these minutes during the first half-century of the existence of the Hospital. Unfortu- nately, this index has been discontinued for nearly seventy years past. The Hospital itself was instituted in 1751, but eleven years elapsed before the gift of a single volume laid the corner-stone of the future library, Mr. William Logan, one of the Managers, on his return from Europe in July, 1762, bringing with him a recently- issued work on Materia Medica, by William Lewis, F.R.S.,-" a present to this Hospital by Dr. John Foth- ergill, for the benefit of the young students in physic who may attend under the direction of the physicians." * An Address on the Occasion of the Centennial Celebration of the Founding of the Pennsylvania Hospital, delivered June xo, 1851, by Geo. B. Wood, M.D. Philadelphia, 1851. 34 Dr. F. was an early and steadfast friend of the institu- tion, and during this same month contributed a number of framed anatomical views, models, etc., valued at ^350. These were used to illustrate Dr. Shippen's anatomical lectures, and the name of the generous donor is therefore associated with the earliest study and teaching of anatomy in this country. This collection, as well as that of some curious anatomical waxwork purchased from the estate of Dr. Abraham Chovet in 1793 by life-annuity to his daughter of ^30 (sterling),- the sum paid on this account amounting in all to $2658.88,-though seemingly unconnected with the history of the library, are incidentally mentioned here, more particularly "as the anatomical museum of which they laid the foundation was long connected with the library and drew its subsequent increase from the same fund.''* The subject of charging a fee for the admission of students to the privileges of the Hospital is interesting from its connection with the history of the foundation of the medical library. It was the custom in those days-up to 1821-to intrust the duties at present exer- cised by the Resident Physician to Apprentices,-in other words, medical students who resided within the hospital. The regulations adopted in 1763 required a fee from all students in attendance, except, of course, the apprentices; but the matter being first referred to the Attending Physicians, the latter, in a report signed by Drs. Thomas Bond, Thomas Cadwalader, Phineas Bond, and Cadwalader Evans, recommended that each student should pay six pistoles as a gratuity for that * Sketch of the History of the Medical Library of the Pennsylvania Hospital. By William G. Malin, Librarian. Philadelphia, 1829. The writer of this article is also indebted to this gentleman, at present the effi- cient Steward, as well as to Mr. Alexander D. Stockton, Librarian, for facilities and courtesies extended in its preparation. 35 privilege. "And further," say these gentlemen, "as the custom of most of the hospitals in Great Britain has given such gratuities to the physicians and sur- geons attending them, we think it properly belongs to us to appropriate the money arising from thence, and propose to apply it to the founding a medical library in the said hospital,"-which proposition was acceded to. The expenditures from the "medical fund" thus created and annually increased from this source are, it is presumable, still devoted to the purposes of the library. In 1767, there were presented from the medical library of the late Dr. Lloyd Zachary forty-three vol- umes, and from that of the late Dr. Benjamin Morris, by his sister Deborah Morris, fifty-five volumes,-the latter the medical portion of a valuable collection of works procured by him while residing abroad. In Oc- tober, 1770, two quarto volumes on Materia Medica were received from England, having been "trans- mitted by our friend Benjamin Franklin at the request of our worthy benefactor, Dr. John Fothergill, as a present from him." The Hospital seems to have had, almost from the outset, valuable assistance from friends and contributors in Great Britain. A continuance of the same kind influences in behalf of our local sick was again invoked in July, 1774, by direct appeal of a committee, addressed to William Strahan, of London, at the time of sending for a supply of medical works, which they were anxious to obtain before the winter. " This we are very desirous of, as the young students who from the neighboring provinces attend the lectures of the several professors in our medical school may then have the benefit of reading them a year sooner than they can if they should not.arrive here before the next spring." The "trunk of books" was received in December, and the gentleman addressed evidently took 36 as a hint the statement of the committee that the Hos- pital " funds fall short some hundred pounds yearly of discharging our common expenses," for the books, valued at about a hundred pounds, appear to have been presented by him. "The throes of the approaching Revolution," says Mr. Malin, "began now to be felt; and although, amidst the all-absorbing political excitement and con- vulsions which followed, the Managers continued an unremitting care to the main objects of the institution, it is not surprising that for some years no addition of importance was made to the library. At some periods, indeed, particularly during the years 1776-77-78, and during the depreciation in the value of continental money, it required great exertions to preserve the insti- tution from total ruin. In the fourteen years between 1774 and 1787 inclusive, only ten volumes and a pam- phlet were added to the library. The first order for books transmitted to London after the close of the Revolutionary War was dated June 30, 1786." One work purchased during the war, Cullen's First Lines, of the Practice of Physic, cost, in 1780, the apparently extravagant sum of ^135 This was at a time when there was an enormous depreciation of the cur- rency, and was really equal only to the inconsiderable amount of £1 15s. specie. While the catalogue was in preparation in 1788, sev- eral volumes were found to be missing, and Samuel Coates was desired to advertise for them in Hall & Sellers' Gazette, and to request the persons in whose possession they were to return them. The Apothecary, who evidently acted as the Librarian in those days, was ordered under no pretence to loan a book without taking a note or sufficient deposit. The first systematic " Rules" for the use and preservation of the library were adopted in December, 1789; and it was at the same time deter- 37 mined that a catalogue should be printed, "under the inspection of Joseph Paschall and Bartholomew Wistar, who are requested to accept of the assistance of Drs. Rush and Parke, who offer their services in this busi- ness." This, the first catalogue, was issued in the spring of 1790, a copy being given gratis to each officer, Dr. Lettsom, and Dr. Redman, President of the College of Physicians, the students being each charged an eighth of a dollar for the same. The number of volumes em- braced in it was 528. We learn from Mr. Malin's sketch, that "in the years 1787, 1788, 1789, and 1790, the amount paid for books was ^266 55. wd., and the total expenditure in their purchase from the foundation of the library to the close of the official year (May) 1790 was ^332 85. J^d., or $886.48." During 1790, the aid of the celebrated Dr. Lettsom was solicited by the Managers of the Hospital in the selection of works for the library abroad. He subse- quently contributed many valuable medical books, and seemed anxious that " the library should contain a good proportion of the works of ancient as well as modern authors, and that they should be consulted by at least the writing portion of the profession." In October, 1791, it was determined that, in addition to the facilities extended to its own officers, the Presi- dent of the College of Physicians for the time being should be entitled to the use of the books. Drs. Parke, Shippen, and Wistar were appointed, in January, 1794, a committee to report a plan for the better regulation of the library and the preservation of the anatomical specimens, but their report was not entered upon the minutes. In February, Jos. Paschall and Dr. Parke were appointed to prepare a catalogue of the new books, which was printed in August. The apprentices must at this time have had charge of the library, for we find Dr. Thomas Horsfield, one of these 38 resident medical officers, who was about to leave the institution, called upon to give a list of the books miss- ing from the library; and, still later, several of these gentlemen paid out of their own pockets for a few miss- ing volumes, for the care of which they were held responsible. The Managers, in March, 1800, resolved to petition Congress to exempt public libraries from the payment of import duties on books; btit the petition was not offered, as Congress had in the mean time decided the question negatively. The library was removed during this year into the new room, specially prepared for it, on the first floor of the centre building, there not being room for it in the four cases it already occupied, and Drs. Parke and Barton were appointed the Committee of Arrangement. The library became in time so ex- tensive that it not only filled the apartment designed for it, but also crept into the entry, and even invaded the domain of the Apothecary. This condition of affairs continued until 1847, when it was removed to its present commodious quarters on the second floor. The only important donation of books during the year 1800 was received from Sarah Zane, who had come into possession of a large miscellaneous and medical library, the latter of which, including many rare books, she gave to the Hospital. It consisted of ninety-one quartos, twenty-three folios, twenty-two duodecimos, and six octavos. "It is curious to remark,'''says Mr. Malin, " the relative proportion of the several sizes, particularly as these works were nearly all published in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, and may per- haps be taken as a tolerably fair average of the form assumed by the medical literature of those times.'' On every occasion when the care of the library was transferred from one apprentice to another, formal action was taken upon it by the Board of Managers. 39 Each new acting Librarian was required to receipt for all the books, etc., a list of the missing volumes was prepared, and two of the Managers were appointed to superintend the transfer. It was quite a common-in- deed, almost a universal-occurrence for the appren- tice to be charged on leaving with the value of a large number of missing books. The records are full of such entries as " List of books lost before Dr. took charge of the library " Books lost under the care of Dr. ," etc. Indeed, at one time it was ordered that the medi- cal library be closed, to give the apprentice the oppor- tunity ' ' to stay a few days in the city, and devote time to collect all that are out," and to make a list of the books still missing, fifty copies of which list were to be dis- tributed among the physicians and pupils, and one copy inserted in the public newspapers. In another place we read that the library is not to be opened until further orders, ''as John Moore, who is appointed Librarian, must examine the books before he gives a receipt for them," fifty volumes being then missing, though many of these were afterwards recovered. In addition to such duty, the rules stipulated that " the apprentice acting for the time being as Librarian shall bleed, cup, and leech; he shall also dress wounds, and assist the senior apprentice in dressing fractures." It may be interesting, now that the system of medical apprenticeship has been abolished for so many years, to refer briefly to the terms under which such an officer was received. He was to bring with him a single feather-bed, which he was to leave in the house, to serve five years, and give two sufficient securities to pay at the rate of a hundred pounds per annum for every day that he absented himself without leave from the Man- agers, to fill up his time in study, ''to look for no indul- gence by leave to attend parties of pleasure or places of amusement, nor to be abroad in the evening ; nor will 40 it be considered for his benefit to receive visits at home, none of these things making any part of the views of careful parents or friends in placing him, nor the Man- agers in receiving him, as apprentice." He was al- lowed two seasons-selected by the Managers-out of the five, to attend medical lectures, " always ob- serving to return home as soon as each lecture shall be over." These reminiscences of those who for so many years had the responsible care of the library seem appropriate in a sketchy of its history. In 1806, a new catalogue-the first according to authors-was printed, under the superintendence of Zaccheus Collins and Richard Wistar,.a committee of the Board of Managers, who were empowered to call to their assistance one or more of the physicians. Dr. Thomas Parke was selected, but Dr. Joseph Harts- horne, at that time an apprentice, is known to have had the chief labor of its compilation intrusted to him. Nothing of interest occurred in connection with the library until 1816, when a committee was appointed to confer with the physicians, with authority to purchase such books from the library of the late Dr. Benjamin Smith Barton as they deemed desirable. The medical portion was found to be mainly composed of duplicates of books already in possession of the Hospital, but those on Natural History and Botany were purchased at a cost of nearly twenty-eight hundred dollars. During this year nearly ^400 sterling were invested in the importation of books. In 1818, the second part of the catalogue was issued. In 1822, the first "Committee to have charge of the Library" was appointed, who were requested to associate with them Drs. James and Hewson in its care and superintendence. In 1823, over four hundred dollars were expended in the purchase of sundry books and instruments,-the effects of Dr. Wil- liam Price; and a vote of thanks was passed to Dr. 41 Parke, who had acted as purveyor to the library, ^600 sterling having been at various times placed in his hands for the purchase of books. The Library Committee was instructed in 1824 to remove such bookcases as were in the room on the second floor, so as to appropriate that chamber to the use of the Lying-in Department. In March of this year, Mr. William Gunn Malin was appointed Clerk, to whose duties those of Librarian were added the fol- lowing year, continuing in this dual capacity until 1840, when he was appointed Steward,-in all of which po- sitions he has faithfully and conscientiously labored for the best interests of the Hospital. In 1827, a committee was appointed to inquire the price, etc. of Mascagni's plates, but, as they were valued at five hundred and nineteen dollars, it was decided not to purchase them. In 1829, a new catalogue was prepared by the Libra- rian, with which was incorporated a " Sketch of the History of the Medical Library," by the same reliable authority. The latter publication gave so much satis- faction that one thousand extra copies were printed the following year. The catalogue numbered 5828 vol- umes, and a supplement to it was published in 1836. Dr. Louis, of Paris, received, in 1833, the thanks of the Managers for valuable aid afforded by him in the selection of books. In 1837, the South Sea Surveying and Exploring Expedition, as it is called upon the minutes, though generally known as the United States Exploring Expedition, made application for certain books on Comparative Anatomy and Natural History, which the Library Committee were authorized to sell them, as it was found they could be replaced by send- ing to Europe. In 1841, the numerical strength of the library was slightly diminished by the transference of certain books on diseases of the mind and on general literature to the Hospital for the Insane, then, as now, 42 under the able management of Dr. Kirkbride. Dr.. Charles D. Meigs, being about to leave for Europe in the spring of 1845, was authorized by the Managers to purchase, during his absence, works for the library at a cost of not more than three hundred dollars. The increasing number of books rendered it indis- pensable, in 1847, that additional accommodations should be provided for them. In a special report of the Library Committee on this subject, they state that "the existing bookcases are all full, and there is obvi- ously no space for more, either in the present library- room or in the apothecary-shop or hall. The commit- tee therefore recommend that the partitions in the late female medical ward in the second story of the centre building be removed, and that it be suitably fitted up for the reception of the medical library. A fine room will thus be obtained, of convenient size, light, airy, and in all respects well adapted to the purpose. It will also serve for the Managers' room, and the present library may then be used exclusively for the office." Such is the present arrangement; but the old cases still remain in the office for other useful purposes, with the quaint staircase winding up in one corner, invisible until the doors of the case are opened. The alterations for the new library were at once effected, the physicians and surgeons agreeing that the expense should be defrayed from the medical fund; and the library was removed to the second floor early the next year, the Managers meeting there for the first time in June. In 1852, Mr. George Ord presented one hundred and six volumes on Natural History and Medicine, chiefly standard works, and in 1861 a valuable ornithological work, by C. J. Temminck, which, when bound, consti- tuted five folio volumes, with colored plates. The Library Committee was authorized in 1855 to employ a suitable person to prepare a catalogue; and 43 this labor was very faithfully and effectively performed by Dr. Emil Fischer, the catalogue embracing seven hundred and fifty pages, being exceedingly valuable for reference. A supplement to this, by August F. Muller, at that time the Librarian, was published in 1867, during which year also a resolution was adopted charg- ing three dollars per annum to physicians and students for the use of the library. As in the earlier days of its history the museum was connected with the library, so also for a number of years past an anatomical and pathological museum has been annexed to it, under the charge of the same committee. The library grows quietly but slowly, scarcely ever receiving a donation, and yet the cases are now so crowded that several hun- dred volumes have been removed to another part of the building. The fee for life-privileges of the use of the library and attendance on the practice of the house is twenty-five dollars. From the time of its passing out of the hands of the Apothecaries and Apprentices, the library has been under the care of several Librarians, almost all of whom have also acted as Clerks. These, mentioned in order of sequence, are as follows: William G. Malin, 1824- 1840; William R. Clapp, 1840-1849; William H. Go- brecht, M.D., 1849-1850; Joshua Whitall, M.D., 1851- 1852 ; William A. Dobbyn, 1853-1857 ; David T. Lewis, M.D., 1857-1861; Richard Randolph, Jr., 1861-1863; Joshua P. Edge, 1863-1865; August F. Muller, 1865- 1867 ; and Alexander D. Stockton, the present incum- bent, since that time. During portions of 1850, 1851,. 1853, and 1854, temporary appointments were made by the Library Committee. The two great libraries of the Pennsylvania Hos- pital and the College of Physicians would, if combined, form a very remarkable literary collection, embracing works in every department of medical literature and 44 the kindred sciences. A comparison of the library catalogues of the two institutions exhibits a surprising absence of duplication ; indeed, so many works are found in the one that have no place in the other, that these fine libraries, which in their aggregate sum up over twenty-seven thousand volumes, may be said to supple- ment each other. If any action looking to their con- solidation should ever take place, Philadelphia would possess a magnificent library, far surpassing in value and resources that of any other cisatlantic city, which would be the pride of the profession. The Hospital library has never yet accomplished its full measure of usefulness ; it is comparatively buried, its privileges act- ually enjoyed by but few, and its merits neither popu- larly known nor deservedly appreciated. It now em- braces fully twelve thousand volumes, and there is not a department of medical science that is not illustrated in it; but the rules prescribe that it shall be open only three times a week for an hour at a time. It is princi- pally used by the officers of the house, and only occa- sionally by the profession at large, although, as we have seen, founded and sustained by the unselfish relinquish- ment of fees by medical men. 45 THE MEDICAL LIBRARY OF THE PHILA- DELPHIA HOSPITAL. A BOUT nine years ago, Dr. D. Hayes Agnew, in a 4*- lecture on "The Medical History of the Philadel- phia Almshouse," gave many interesting particulars in regard to the library connected with the Hospital. From this we learn that the subject was first agitated for legis- lative aid in 1805, and that in 1808 a room was assigned for the library and the first expenditure for books made. The senior student was subsequently appointed Libra- rian, rules were adopted, money appropriated during several years out of the receipt for house pupils, and life-privileges granted for the use of the library at thirty dollars. In 1816, the Apothecary also became the Li- brarian, and a catalogue was prepared, estimated by Dr. McClellan, in 1818, to number one thousand and twenty-two volumes. In 1827, Dr. Horner presented one hundred and twenty foreign theses. Dr. E. F. Rivinus,, one of the Resident Physicians, compiled a catalogue in 1831, which seems to be the only one ever printed,, and which proved this library to be especially rich in ancient medicine and surgery. In 1836, the "United States Exploring Expedition" offered to purchase, at a large advance over the cost price, several important works belonging to the Hospital; but the offer was re- fused. The sale of clinical tickets enabled the medical board to add many books to the library, which soon numbered over three thousand volumes. The present aggregate probably varies but little from this total, for,, although an annual appropriation of two hundred and fifty dollars has been made for several years past, we learn from Dr. Agnew's sketch that the library "has been plundered, by the vandalism to which it has been exposed, of much valuable matter." Dr. C. Pen- 46 dleton Tutt was for several years Librarian, and was succeeded after his death in 1866 by Dr. J. L. Ludlow, the present Librarian, whose duties seem to be rather directed to the purchase and general supervision of the books, the giving out of these being intrusted to a reli- able resident pauper. The nuclei of other libraries may be found in several of our medical institutions; but none of them have as yet risen to such importance as to deserve special men- tion, though hereafter they may become of historic interest. A large number of medical works may also be found in our extensive miscellaneous libraries, as the Mercantile and the Philadelphia; the former con- taining about one thousand medical volumes, and the latter, in the main library and in its Loganian collec- tion, several thousand volumes of very choice old med- ical books of the sixteenth, seventeenth, and eighteenth centuries. It seems unfortunate that such literary med- ical gems are not placed where they might be better known and appreciated. THE END. THE PUBLIC MEDICAL LIBRARIES OF PHILADELPHIA.