[Grief, a peril in infancy]: a film
Spitz, René A. (René Arpad), 1887-1974
Wolf, Katherine M. (Katherine Maria), 1907-1957
Psychoanalytic Researchproject on Problems of Infancy.
- [New York, NY] : The Researchproject, 
- Moving image
- Maternal Deprivation Bereavement Child Grief Infant Personality Development
- Instructional Films and Videos
- This film shows the effect upon infants of prolonged absence of the mother. A number of babies in a foundling home are shown. The film indicates that among infants under a year old, if the mother returns after an interval of fewer than three months, their recovery is rapid. If the absence is prolonged beyond this period, it becomes impossible to achieve contact with them, and they become passive and apathetic and begin to suffer damage to their personalities. The film suggests that it is the emotional climate provided by the mother that allows the child's mind to develop normally.
- The National Library of Medicine believes this item to be in the public domain. (More information)
- 024 min.
- Black and white
- Received: May 18, 1994 as a donation from Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, University of Pittsburgh.
- Live action
- NLM Unique ID:
- 9505470 (See catalog record)
- OCLC no.: