Modern nutrition: a clinical symposium
E.R. Squibb & Sons.
National Research Council (U.S.). Food and Nutrition Board.
United States. War Food Administration. Office of Distribution.
United States. Public Health Service.
- [New Brunswick, NJ] : E.R. Squibb & Sons, c1944
- Moving image
- Deficiency Diseases -- diagnosis Deficiency Diseases -- prevention & control Nutritional Physiological Phenomena
- The Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council, which helped to prepare this film, was formed in 1940 for the purpose of improving the nutritional fitness of Americans in the crisis of World War II. The purpose of this film is to clarify some of the newer aspects of nutrition information for the physician, with emphasis on the diagnosis and treatment of vitamin deficiency states. A panel of eminent nutritionists presents, in turn, information on the following: the diagnosis and physical signs of primary and conditioned malnutrition; suggested doses of vitamins and dietary supplements used in the treatment of beriberi, scurvy, and pellagra. The physician is urged to look for signs of chronic and acute malnutrition in all of his/her patients and to not only treat the condition, but to teach and encourage proper nutrition. Some of the personal and social implications of inadequate diet are discussed. A report is made of ante-partum nutrition studies done in Toronto. Reports of other studies are outlined. The panelists, Drs. Norman Jolliffe, T.D. Spees, H.D. Kruse, W.H. Sebrell, and R. Goodheart, lecture into the camera and make blackboard notes. Shots include: patients with pellagra; patients with scurvy; conjunctiva in vitamin A deficiency; corneal vascularity; mouth lesions in riboflavin deficiency; the tongue in niacin deficiency and riboflavin deficiency; the gums in scurvy and Vincent's infection; the skin in pellagra; a physical examination of pellagrins and of patients with polyneuropathies; a woman exhibiting the depression and emotional instability of pellagra; a patient in a hospital bed receiving parenteral vitamins; a nurse mixing and weighing nutritional supplements; rural Southern homes.
- The National Library of Medicine believes this item to be in the public domain. (More information)
- 046 min.
- Black and white
- Norman Jolliffe, T.D. Spees, H.D. Kruse, W.H. Sebrell, R. Goodheart.
- Received: (date unknown) as a donation from the United States Public Health Service.
- Live action
- NLM Unique ID:
- 8801303A (See catalog record)