Diabetes and you, too
Brown, Forest R.
Becker, Betty Glore.
University of Oklahoma. Extension Division.
Oklahoma. Division of Chronic Disease Control.
- [Chicago, IL] : International Film Bureau, 
- Moving image
- Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1
- Instructional Films and Videos Popular Works
- This film is designed to familiarize the lay person with the nature, symptoms, and treatment of diabetes. We do not hear the voices of the actors, only the voice of the narrator. A teenage girl feels unusually tired. She sees a physician who diagnoses diabetes. The physician explains the disease and the benefits of insulin therapy to the girl and her mother. The girl is shown at home using a prepared kit to test her urine. A public health nurse shows the girl how to inject insulin properly -- the needle and syringe are sterilized, the syringe is filled and air expelled from it, the injection site on the thigh is swabbed with alcohol, and the girl injects herself. Healthy foods for diabetics are shown. Excessive thirst and excessive urination as symptoms of diabetes are illustrated. The girl is shown resuming normal activity as she becomes stabilized on insulin. Complications of untreated diabetes are outlined. The girl is shown talking to adult diabetics who assure her that she can live a long, normal life as a diabetic if she keeps her disease under control. The girl is shown having, then treating, a mild insulin reaction, filling out her diabetic identification card. Good foot care is advised to prevent gangrene. The girl's overweight mother shows symptoms of diabetes but refuses to take them seriously until her daughter gently bullies her into seeing a physician.
- The National Library of Medicine believes this item to be in the public domain. (More information)
- 020 min.
- Carol Wilson, Jill Harris, Sherman P. Lawton, Mary E. Duncan, Thelma Sherman, Glen Pool, Marcia Wilson, Bucky Bollman, Shirley Mix, Frances Coleman, J.G. Keeling, William M. English, Mrs. L.W. Anderson, Mrs. E.C. Butler, Mrs. F.P. Sterr, Berene Epp, Judy Nelson, John Nesom, Mattie Commons, members of the OU Ducks Club, personnel of the Seminole County Health Dept.
- Script by Dwight V. Swain ; produced by Ned Hockman ; assistant camera & lighting by John Nesom, William B. Walter ; sound by William M. English, Jeff Griffin, Jr. ; directed, photographed & edited by Milt Roberts ; technical consultants: medical, Forest R. Brown ; nursing, Marie Hazleton ; nutrition, Beryl G. Becker.
- Received: Sept. 26, 1967 as a donation from Oklahoma State Dept. of Health.
- Live action
- NLM Unique ID:
- 8800809A (See catalog record)