Challenge: science against cancer
Ruhe, David S. (David Sieger), 1914-2005
Bazilauskas, V. F.
Canada. Department of National Health and Welfare.
National Cancer Institute (U.S.)
National Film Board of Canada.
Association of American Medical Colleges. Medical Film Institute.
- Canada : National Film Board ; [United States] ; Medical Film Institute, 1950
- Moving image
- This film attempts to explain why researchers are having a difficult time discovering the causes and cures for cancer. It begins with an overview of the birth of man from one cell and generally explores the complexity of the human body. It shows the isolation and testing of cancer cells and explains the effects of heredity and environment on normal cells. It explains the difficulties of tracing several generations for heredity research and the multitude of chemicals, etc. which affect cells and turn them cancerous. Shots include: laboratory testing, hospital waiting room, university science classroom with one female black woman, researchers interviewing former cancer patients at their homes, cancer treatment equipment, radium inserted in patient's mouth, radiation equipment lowered onto lesion of man's face, researchers making coffee on a Bunsen burner and eating lunch in the laboratory, a researcher in the laboratory alone late at night making a personal call home, special animated effects of cells and body organs, etc.
- The National Library of Medicine believes this item to be in the public domain. (More information)
- Copyright Holder:
- Association of American Medical Colleges; Source: Item; Research date: 09/09/2011
- 033 min.
- Black and white
- Production executive, Ralph Foster ; production consultants, David Ruhe, Bernard V. Dryer ; scenarist, Maurice Constant ; animation artists, Colin Low, Evelyn Lambart ; scientific consultant on animation sequences, V.F. Bazilauskas ; special effects cameramen, Gordon Petty, Arnold Schieman ; sound recordist, Clarke Daprato ; editor, Douglas Tunstell ; music composer, Louis Applebaum ; cameraman, Grant McLean ; director, Morten Parker ; producer, Guy Glover.
- Received: June 1, 1955; donation; from the U.S.Army.
- Live action
- NLM Unique ID:
- 8700851A (See catalog record)