Wagner, Charles F.
United States. Public Health Service. Division of Hospital and Medical Facilities.
United States. Public Health Service. Audiovisual Facility.
- [Washington] : The Service, 
- Moving image
- Equipment and Supplies, Hospital Health Facility Planning Hospital Administration Hospitals, Community Intensive Care Units Nursing Staff, Hospital Patient Care Planning Progressive Patient Care
- This presentation describes the establishment and operation of an intensive care ward in a community hospital. The intensive care unit is discussed, initially, as part of a larger program of progressive patient care. This program groups patients according to their care needs and consists of six elements: intensive care, intermediate care, self care, long-term care, home care and outpatient care. The presentation discusses the steps involved in planning for the establishment of the intensive care unit. In this hospital, criteria for patient classification were developed by the medical and nursing staffs to determine which patients were to be considered critically or seriously ill, and, therefore, in need of constant surveillance. A checklist based on the patient's need for observation was developed and used in a daily observation of the patient population for three months. As a result of these observations the number of beds to be allocated to intensive care was determined. The physical plan of the intensive care unit is then described. Plans for both five and six-bed units are discussed. The type of equipment included such as oxygen, and suction with regulator is described. The qualifications, staffing pattern and inservice education program for the nurses are also outlined. The operational management of the unit discussed includes establishing procedures for both direct and emergency room admissions, special records for the nurses to record observations, implementing dietary service, procedure for replenishing supplies and establishing visiting hours.
- The National Library of Medicine believes this item to be in the public domain. (More information)
- 019 min.
- Charles F. Wagner, Josephine Strachan.
- Live action
- NLM Unique ID:
- 7600907A (See catalog record)