Aspects of sexual interviewing : the impotent husband
- Alternate Title(s):
- Impotent husband
- Series Title(s):
- Sexuality in the medical school curriculum
Lief, Harold I.
Reed, David M.
Center for the Study of Sex Education in Medicine.
- [Raritan, N. J.] : The Corp., [c1972]
- Moving image
- Anger Erectile Dysfunction -- therapy Frustration Hostility Interpersonal Relations Interview, Psychological -- methods Marital Therapy -- methods
- The purpose of this presentation is to demonstrate a conjoint marriage counseling session in order to "increase your powers of observation in marriage counseling." This objective is achieved with the aid of two clinical subjects, the therapist and Dr. Lief, the Director of the Center for Study of Sex Education in Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. In this presentation Mr. and Mrs. Palmer who have been married for 23 years are interviewed by Dr. Reed in a conjoint session. The Palmers have been referred to Dr. Reed by Mr. Palmer's urologist because while physically healthy, Mr. Palmer has been impotent for a period of six months. Both partners are angry, frustrated and embarrassed about coming in for the interview. The couple explore their life and marriage with Dr. Reed and the problems which have recently arisen. Dr. Reed makes several observations and suggestions regarding their hostility and the need to find a different approach to each other, especially in the sexual area. The viewer is challenged to compare his observations with those made by the authors and to observe certain aspects of interview tactics and interaction during the replay analysis. These aspects include the rapport established; the appraisal of nonverbal behavior, the interaction and the coping patterns; and the therapeutic responses in which Dr. Reed tries to educate, reduce tension and motivate the couple for change.
- This item may be under copyright protection. Please ask copyright owner for permission before publishing.
- Copyright Holder:
- Ortho Pharmaceutical Corporation; Source: Item; Research date: 01/03/2012
- 031 min.
- Live action
- NLM Unique ID:
- 7600869A (See catalog record)
- OCLC no.: