Farewell to childhood
- Series Title(s):
- Emotions of everyday living
Norton, J. W. Roy, 1898-1974, film director
Young, David A., M.D. film director
Rennie, Thomas A. C. (Thomas Alexander Cumming), 1904-1956, consultant
Lambert, John P., consultant
Mental Health Film Board (New York, N.Y.), issuing body.
North Carolina. State Board of Health, presenter.
National Association for Mental Health (U.S.), sponsoring body.
Bethesda, MD : U.S. National Library of Medicine, 2016
Original version: New York, NY : Mental Health Film Board, Inc. 1951
- Moving image
- Adolescent Behavior Psychology, Adolescent Parent-Child Relations Empathy
- Produced by the North Carolina Board of Health and sponsored by the New York-based Mental Health Film Board, this film focuses on "the trials of adolescence," in particular the experiences of a girl named Susan who feels misunderstood by her parents and others. She chafes against their rules, and is also deeply disappointed when she doesn't get the part in the school play that she was expecting. She feels lonely and unimportant. A sympathetic adult from school helps her talk through her concerns, encouraging Susan to try to understand her parents' need to protect her. This adult also speaks with Susan's mother, and encourages tolerance of adolescent ups and downs, the importance of listening to one's child, and flexibility in household rules.
- The National Library of Medicine believes this item to be in the public domain. (More information)
- 022 min.
- Black and white
- Supervisors, J.W.R. Norton, David A. Young ; psychiatric consultants, Thomas A.C. Rennie, John P. Lambert.
- Purchase; Australian Centre for the Moving Image; 20160622; Acc# 2016-09.
- Live action
- NLM Unique ID:
- 101685742 (See catalog record)