Past and present directors of the National Institutes of Health gathered at the Stone House on the occasion of renaming Building 1 to the James A. Shannon building. Standing in front of a fireplace are Drs. Robert S. Stone (1973-1975), Robert Q. Marston ( (1968-1973), James A. Shannon (1955-1968), James B. Wyngaarden (1982-1989), Henry Sebrell, Jr. (1950-1955), and Donald S. Fredrickson (1975-1981). Dr. Fredrickson is standing next to a sofa.
The National Library of Medicine believes this item to be in the public domain. (More information)